Saturday, December 24, 2016

WW2 Chapter 8 - A Christmas Visitor, Part 1

 
Letter of December 17

12/17/43

Dear Dad,

     Received your telegram at noon of the 15th -- but was unable to wire you until 9:30 the following night (16th). I'm sorry I couldn't wire immediately -- I could do nothing about it.

     I was very happy and surprised to learn that you were coming to Calif. -- it's not a very nice place to be spending Christmas. Wouldn't you rather have come on New Years -- then you could be home Christmas?

     As things stand now, unless something happens, I can leave camp Friday at 6:00 P.M. -- and have until at least Sunday night (12:00 midnight).
     ~~~
     We've been having a little motor driving instruction -- today we drove a bit with 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks. What the course really amounts to is a hurried instruction on the operations of army vehicles -- and also a little driving experience -- I wish to hell I could be a truck driver and mechanic -- I think I'd really be interested in and enjoy something like that. [Note: this will be an important experience for him later in the war]

     I can't begin to tell you how glad I am that you're coming to Calif. -- I hope everything works out O.K.

     This has been a very hurried letter -- will write more this week-end.

Love, Franklin

No comments:

Post a Comment