Tuesday, December 27, 2016

WW2 Chapter 5 - Camp McQuaide (September 1943)


On September 1, 1943, Franklin arrived at Camp McQuaide in central California after travelling across the country by train. By this time, he was getting discouraged with nearly everything about his new life in the army.

9/12/43

Dear Mother and Dad,

     I saw the sun, Friday, for the 1st time! (It's cloudy again today).

     The General spoke to us the other day -- he told us just how we stand. It seems that there is no longer a demand for coastal artillery men; so orders were sent to Devens cancelling our leave. Evidently they got there "too late"; therefore Camp McQuaide does not want us -- so -- we're to have a very intensified training here (so much so that we won't even get K.P. duties), until the end of the month, and then we're to be shipped to an infantry camp. Since this infantry camp will also be a replacement camp, there is very little chance of being sent to an army school after the basic.

     It's an amazing thing -- I have been interviewed for hours in regard to what I would like to do in the army, my experiences in certain fields, my hobbies, my interests, the extent of my education and the subjects I took -- and then I'm put into the infantry -- the lowest branch of the service -- a branch in which anyone who understands English can qualify -- if a man can do nothing else, he can always shoot.
     ~~~
     Ever since we got here, we've attended a great many lectures and "movies". Some of the pictures are propaganda, and the others are on first aid, etc. Those propaganda films kind of make me laugh -- building up the morale of the U.S. soldier -- but in such a corny way.
     ~~~
Love, Franklin


After spending four weeks at Camp McQuaide, Franklin learned that he would be moved to a new training camp.

Letter of  September 29, 1943

9/29/43

Dear Dad,

     We have only a couple of more days at McQuaide -- everyone is discussing and arguing about where we're going -- so far we've been in every state of the Union -- and a number of foreign points. This is a good little camp -- only about 5000. At Devens, there were 30,000 soldiers -- I didn't like it there at all. Here there are some pretty good officers, and my battery commander is the "tops" -- he's the type of man that you only meet once. While I've been here, I haven't even had K.P. -- or any of those "foolish things."

     Never before have I been really handicapped by the fact that I'm left-handed -- but now I certainly am. In the obstacle course; for example, I must throw my body over hurdles, etc. the way a right-handed person would naturally do it. When we have injections, they must be injected in my left arm -- this makes my left arm too sore to use, and I can't do much with my right arm, so I'm in a helluva fix. Until two days ago, I was allowed to shoot left handed -- but now I must shoot right-handed -- "new orders came through." I can't even sight properly with my right eye -- let alone hit the damn target. When I ask the officers about this, they say -- "well you can learn -- you can learn".

     The last couple of days we've been learning dirty fighting. Naturally we can't learn too much about it in just three days -- but it does give one a rough idea about what can be done -- in a dirty sort of way ---
     ~~~
     Mother asked me if I had been getting all your letters -- I think I have -- but I've been kind of wondering if you've been getting mine -- I've written quite regularly -- also one to David and Nancy.

     I started this letter Wed. -- today is Thurs. -- tomorrow we ship out -- I hope I don't go where I think I'm going ---

Love, Franklin
 

No comments:

Post a Comment