Sunday, October 9, 2016

WW2 Chapter 84 - Truck Repairs



Letter of September 11
9/11/45

Dear Dad,

     Received your letter of Aug. 28th. Mail as with everything else -- has been trickling in. "Things" should get better when this business of occupation has been settled. Then perhaps the over 85 points men will get to go home. Have already told you that we haul troops -- and it's certainly been mighty slow.

     We've been having eggs -- real eggs for breakfast. We'll get two eggs every morning for a week, then it'll be a month before we have more.

     While working at the docks the other night, one of the men in the company backed into my front fender -- smashing it quite badly. I wouldn't have cared if it had been an "accident" -- but this was the height of carelessness. There's so much to do that I can't afford to "waste" time -- when there is so little time (we drive 12 hours a day -- or night --; and an additional hour must be added on both ends to allow for eating, washing, and arriving and returning from destination). One of the mechanics was a "body man" on the outside -- so with an 8 pound sledge hammer and a wrecker ("A" frame mounted on a 2 1/2 ton truck), and a few other tools (imagine using such things on civilian vehicles), it straightened out damn good. Then it had to be welded in a few places.

     Convinced the dispatcher to give me a "couple" days off to work on my truck. It's in fairly good shape, now. Sunday morning when I came in, I located certain parts, and that afternoon I drove to the junk yard for a tail gate, and a rear "fender" (there was none of it). There's so much junk that it's hard to find what you want -- and harder still to remove it.

     Had to work that night -- but after a couple hours sleep in the morning, I worked on it until dark. Had the welder working on it almost all afternoon, and again this morning.

     Have been bothering, considerably, all the mechanics, but they never hesitate to stop their work to help me or show me what to do. Naturally there are and must be certain restrictions for the drivers -- but I've had use of all tools and equipment including the wrecker.

     About a week ago, I had an opportunity to go to Japan as a truck driver.

     Now that there is no longer any censorship, is there anything you'd like to know? -- I'll try to answer.

Much love,

Franklin

No comments:

Post a Comment