Thursday, October 13, 2016

WW2 Chapter 80 - Assignment to Trucking Company



Letter of July 24
7/24/45

Dear Mother and Dad,

     I'm going to try and give you some idea about what the story is. Tell me if anything is cut out, or what it is, and I'll explain in some other way.

     If you've noticed my address, you can see that I'm now a U.S.O. soldier -- a base commando; -- and am on the same island. After leaving the 4th Replacement (259th), I was shipped to a base headquarters casualty camp. From there, I was shipped to this outfit with a group of reclassified veteran infantrymen. Naturally the situation might change, but as things now stand, we are temporarily assigned to this outfit until we go thru sort of a "familiarization process" or "period of training". Then we're to establish our own company, with our own vehicles, etc.
~~~~
     That's rather general information -- I don't know much more, myself. So for now, anyway, my address is: -- 5250 Q.M. Truck Co. (P), A.P.O. #72  [located in village of Tacloban, Leyte].

Much love,

Franklin
 

No comments:

Post a Comment