Wednesday, October 12, 2016

WW2 Chapter 81 - Dave's 11th Birthday (and Possible Japanese Surrender)


8/10/45

Dear Snodgrass,

     Happy Birthday -- maybe next year I'll be able to help you celebrate it.


Kay Kyser Band

     About a week ago, Kay Kyser presented a show at the navy theatre. I was working that night at a supply dump just opposite the theatre; -- but once -- when my vehicle was third in line to be unloaded, I got to see a part of it. Had various "differences of opinion" with a few S.P.s [security police] when I jumped the fence -- but nothing came of it. I stood at the rear of the theatre (only a few others were there), and had a grand view. Since the exit was also at the rear, I even had the honor(?) of standing beside the four girls that were in the show.

     After all I've said about the frequent "showers", here -- you will be surprised to know that until about three days ago, there had been a period of some 12 days without rain. Unfortunately, however, that resulted in considerable dust. Before that particular road was "oiled", it was so dusty that it was necessary to travel with the headlights on -- even though it was noon, and not a cloud in the sky.

     Yesterday, I visited a little Filipino school. It consisted of two rooms. It's difficult to guess the age of these people -- but they were probably from 6 - 10 years. The teacher was a young girl -- and she was showing them how to read English. She wrote short sentences on a blackboard: -- "Nena has a little brother. His name is Pinto". They pronounce the "a" in has as "ah" (they say Americans swallow their words).

     Afterward I "tested" some darn good sling-shots that some of the boys had made.

     Well, Dave, I'll again wish you a most Happy Birthday.

Much love,

Watty

Letter of August 10
     A short while ago -- while at the theatre -- it was announced that the Japanese were willing to surrender. Though not confirmed, it can't be much longer. And to think that something so important occurred on such an important and wonderful day -- your birthday.

W.

No comments:

Post a Comment