Friday, October 28, 2016

WW2 Chapter 65 - His Mother's Birthday



Letter of February 26

2/26/45

Dear Mother,

    Happy Birthday!

    We had real potatoes, today! Never thought that there would come a time when something so simple as a baked potato could taste better than any chocolate milk ever did. As for food -- more than anything else, I'd like a cold glass of milk.

    There's a soldier, here, who comes from Maine. He was stationed, for some while in Australia. He met a pretty nice girl there, and married her.

     Don't guess I'll ever get any mail until I get back to my outfit. They sent me no mail during the last two weeks I was in the Philippines, so they sure as hell won't send it a couple thousand miles.

    After three days, I discovered that the soldier a couple beds from mine was in my outfit at Roberts. He seemed to look just a bit familiar, but when you've met thousands of people, it's hard to be sure; -- and he didn't recognize me either. He's also an infantryman -- and in the 7th Division.

    The Red Cross came around last Saturday, with some ice-cold Coke.

With love,

Franklin

No comments:

Post a Comment