Monday, October 10, 2016

WW2 Chapter 83 - Franklin's Truck



Letter of August 18 (with oil stains)
 8/18/45

Dear Mother and Dad,

     Did you notice the address on the envelope? Have moved again (still the same island). This is my 14th army address -- and I hope it'll be my last.

     We have just taken over a colored truck company. The general condition of the area and living quarters are about as good as anywhere. We have six-man tents -- with wooden floors, and one light.

     Most of the vehicles are in rather sad shape -- though that is partly due to long service. I haven't yet taken my vehicle on the road, so it's difficult to tell much about it; but the engine sounds fairly good -- though the body is quite bad. However, I think I'm going to enjoy fussing around and trying to fix it.

Photo of a GMC CCKW 2 1/2-Ton Cargo Truck

     I have a steel-top type of cab on my truck. It's similar to the civilian models - with doors and "comfortable" seats -- but it's extremely hot. The other type is a sort of roadster effect -- with canvas top and removable side curtains. The seats are as comfortable as a folded blanket -- and you get wet when it rains -- but the big advantage is that it's cool.

     Received my license, last week. It permits me to drive 1/4, 3/4, 1 1/2, and 2 1/2 ton vehicles (mine is 2 1/2).

     You already know what I think of the marines. Though it's a small outfit and hasn't done much fighting, here are some interesting figures concerning the casualty list in the Pacific: --

     Army      77,100
     Marines  77,093
     Difference    7

     Mother -- last January you sent me some butterscotch cookies. Have just received them -- but unfortunately they were bad. Also received Jan., Feb., and July issues of the "Recorder". And a very nice bracelet and watch strap. My former watch strap I made from bamboo -- somewhere near Ormoc. The first few times I reached for my watch, I was "surprised" to find such a swell strap. Thanks very much for all.

Much love,

Franklin

3449 Q.M. Truck Co.
A.P.O. #72 [located in Tacloban, Leyte]

No comments:

Post a Comment