Thursday, November 3, 2016

WW2 Chapter 59 - Franklin's Third Letter from Combat (December 30, 1944)


Front side of letter
(recycled from envelopes)

Back side of letter

12/30/44

Dear Dad,

    In one of Mother’s letters, there was enclosed a most excellent photograph of you and Dave.

    Have been hearing about the shortage of cigarettes on the outside. We have been getting just about all we need. If conditions were such – I’d send you a few cartons.

    During the first few weeks, here, wherever we stopped, the natives swarmed about – with all their trading goods. At one place, there was a girl – Norberta – who cooked for me some sweet potatoes – cooked them right where I was at. Another one – Natividad – did my laundry, -- pressed my fatigues – and even sewed some buttons on my underwear. She was very nice – and with the aid of the American women’s unmentionables and such, would be quite pretty. She spoke excellent English – said that Americans are hard to understand because they slur their words. Almost forgot – she also brought me a small roasted turkey.

    Made out to you two days ago, a money order for $50.

    When this is over, I’m going to get a good Model A Ford – have wanted one ever since attending Middlebury School.

    More sewing experience – tore my pants on a barbed wire. Got the needle from a Japanese who no longer has use for it.

Much love,

Franklin



No comments:

Post a Comment