Sunday, November 6, 2016

WW2 Chapter 56 - Franklin's Second Letter from Combat (December 21, 1944)



Letter of December 21
11/21/44 (actually 12/21/44)

Dear Mother and Dad,

     No rain for the last couple of days – understand that there was 23 inches of it in November.

     We have been having difficulty obtaining stationary – and incidentally, this is Japanese paper.

     About two weeks ago, I was left behind overnight to guard a small ammo and supply dump. During that time, my outfit had pushed on ahead quite a distance – and had liberated one town quite early that morning. When I passed thru the town just after noon, many of the natives were returning from the mountains (all the natives take off to the mountains to escape the Japanese); so I was about the first U.S. soldier they had seen. One boy offered me bananas – and quite a number of them wanted to know if it was now safe and permissible for them to return to their homes. One girl came up to me and asked if I weren’t Gary Cooper.

     Received those pictures you took from the airplane Dad – they were certainly excellent – and most interesting. Your letter giving the details hasn’t yet arrived.

     Seems that another Christmas is about here – a Merry Christmas to you all ---

Much love,

Franklin


No comments:

Post a Comment